Some of our mentors and mentees have shared their favorite persistence apps. The list below is not exhaustive, but it’s a great starting point!
Forest (iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox)
- Disincentivize yourself from using your phone by “planting a tree” for a set amount of time when you want to focus. The tree will grow while you work. If you look at your phone, the tree will die.
- Multiple focus modes including, Pomodoro timer, stopwatch mode, and collaborative mode (study with friends from anywhere).
- The app will display messages that remind you not to look at your phone when you are trying to focus.
- Tag your focus time blocks with specific activities so you can see graphs of how long you worked and what you were doing.
- Set timers to take a break from focusing.
- $1.99 one time purchase.
StayFocusd (Chrome extension)
- Restrict the amount of time you can spend on time-wasting websites
- Block or allow entire sites or specific pages
- Once you’ve used up your “focus time,” blocked sites will be inaccessible for the rest of the day.
Persistence – Goal Tracker (iOS)
- Set smart reminders to help you set and keep goals and track your habits.
- Group your goals into categories.
- Keep journal progress notes and edit or change progress entries.
- View, share, and export graphs and statistical analysis of your progress data.
- Blacklist distracting sites one-by-one, or in bulk with the “import” feature.
- Set a timer to prevent yourself from accessing distracting sites.
- Once timer is set, you will be locked out even if you restart the computer or delete the app.
- Make sure you have downloaded or unblocked all information you need to complete your assignment before setting the timer!
Do you have a favorite persistence app that isn’t listed here? Send us an email at email@example.com so we can add it to the list!
Last updated: December 2021