Some of our mentors and mentees have shared their favorite apps for time management and productivity. The list below is not exhaustive, but it’s a great starting point!
Nozbe Personal (Any browser, iOS, Android)
- Label and prioritize tasks to make the most of your time and energy.
- Turn actionable emails into tasks by forwarding to your “secret” Nozbe address.
- Turn repeating tasks into templates.
- Full app requires a paid subscription, but there is a free version that’s limited to 5 active projects. To get the free version, sign up for the free trial and once it ends, switch to the free account.
TickTick (Any browser, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android)
- Create to-do lists that sync across devices (supports 10 different platforms)
- Integrate your calendar with the app.
- Add tasks via email and include attachments.
- Set goals to develop habits.
- Free! (Paid premium version available, but most students should be fine with the free version.)
My Life Organized (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android)
- Easily define tasks, break them into sub-tasks, and outline hierarchy.
- App automatically generates a smart list of action items that require your immediate attention.
- Includes location-based reminders that will ping you when you arrive at a location for a specific task.
- App syncs across devices with the cloud.
- Full suite of time and project management tools requires a one-time (not subscription) payment, but to-do list software and basic app are free.
RescueTime (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android)
- Offers personalized feedback including a focus work goal and smart coaching.
- Provides feedback to help you learn what sites and apps are preventing you from getting your work done.
- Blocks sites that most negatively impact your focus during “focus sessions.”
- Shares an automatic account of your workday to help you understand how you use your time and increase your productivity.
- Requires a monthly subscription after 2-week free trial.
Do you have a favorite time management app that isn’t listed here? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can add it to the list!
Last updated: December 2021