Mission & Vision
Advancing Educational Excellence
The CTL advances educational excellence through evidence-based pedagogical support, assistance for learners, and classroom design.
The CTL advances the educational mission of WashU by supporting a diverse community of teachers and learners. We promote inclusive, evidence-based pedagogy, develop teaching-focused collaborations among campus partners, and strive to create a transformational educational experience inside and outside the classroom.
The Educational Development team accomplishes this mission by:
- Promoting evidence-based classroom practices that improve student learning and engagement, in order to increase student success;
- Initiating and sustaining collegial conversations about teaching and learning at WashU;
- Fostering a culture of reflective teaching practice that values collaboration, innovation, and inclusivity;
- Cultivating an environment that engages in the scholarship of teaching and learning; and
- Supporting instructors in pedagogical development through all stages of their academic careers.
The Classroom Services team accomplishes this mission by:
- Researching and validating the latest educational technologies in support of student success;
- Designing state-of-the-art custom classrooms to meet the current and future demands of flexible teaching modalities and collaborative, inclusive, and active learning;
- Supporting instructional use of more than 120 technology-infused classrooms with immediate on-call deployment and planned maintenance and upgrades; and
- Collaborating with other departments on support of educational technology tools while providing immediate on-call support to the campus community.
The Learning Center
The Learning Center team accomplishes this mission by:
- Supporting undergraduate students’ college transition and continued success through academic mentoring programs;
- Facilitating collaborative learning communities among students in foundational courses;
- Coaching students to utilize academic skills that promote engaged, self-directed, and life-long learning; and
- Training undergraduate mentors in evidence-based pedagogy to improve the mentoring experience.
The Center for Teaching and Learning teams collaborate to ensure that our work is informed by knowledge about best practices in teaching, instructional technology and other tools. We have a shared commitment to Washington University’s mission of excellence in teaching, learning, and research.