The Center for Teaching and Learning’s mission is to advance teaching and learning excellence at WashU. This mission integrates pedagogical support for faculty, graduate student, and postdoc instructors (Educational Development); learning support for undergraduates and undergraduate peer mentors (The Learning Center); and classroom technology and classroom design support for the university community (Classroom Services).
The Educational Development team accomplishes this mission by:
- Promoting evidence-based classroom practices that improve student learning and engagement, in order to increase student success;
- Initiating and sustaining collegial conversations about teaching and learning at WashU;
- Fostering a culture of reflective teaching practice that values collaboration, innovation, and inclusivity;
- Cultivating an environment that engages in the scholarship of teaching and learning; and
- Supporting instructors in pedagogical development through all stages of their academic careers.
Our Classroom Services team accomplishes this mission by:
- Providing on-call expert technical support for classroom technologies;
- Installing and servicing classroom multimedia systems that equip our learning spaces with the latest educational technologies; and
- Designing state-of-the-art custom classrooms built for flexible teaching and collaborative, active learning.
The Learning Center
Our Learning Center team accomplishes this mission by:
- Supporting undergraduate students’ college transition and continued success through academic mentoring programs;
- Facilitating collaborative learning communities among students in foundational courses;
- Coaching students to utilize academic skills that promote engaged, self-directed, and life-long learning; and
- Training undergraduate mentors in evidence-based pedagogy to improve the mentoring experience.
The Center for Teaching and Learning teams collaborate to ensure that our work is informed by knowledge about best practices in teaching, instructional technology and other tools. We have a shared commitment to Washington University’s mission of excellence in teaching, learning, and research.