Before you begin
In order to use the Poll Everywhere LTI Advantage Canvas integration, you must first Publish the course and add a start and end date for the course term.
- Ensure the course is Published using the button at the top right of the Course home screen.
- Next, go to the course Settings. On the Course Details tab make sure the course has a start date in the past, and an end date that is in the future from when you intend to use the integration.
Create a one-time connection to Poll Everywhere
- Go to the course that you wish to connect with Poll Everywhere and click the ‘+ Module’ button. Name the module whatever you like, then click the ‘Add Module’ button to save.
- Within your new module, click the ‘+’ button. From the dropdown menu at the top of the popup window, select ‘External Tool’, then select Poll Everywhere. URL and Page Name fields will auto-populate below. Lastly, check the ‘Load in a new tab’ checkbox to and click ‘Add Item’ to save.
- Contact your School Admin if you do not see Poll Everywhere under ‘External Tool.’
- Now, click on the new Poll Everywhere link that you made within the module. Click the ‘Load Poll Everywhere in a new window’ button to launch the Poll Everywhere connection.
- In the new tab, you will acknowledge you are launching Poll Everywhere through Canvas.
Sync your roster
- On the next page, you will see your course title and a button to ‘Sync roster’ to import the students from your course into Poll Everywhere. Click the button. A page will inform you that the participant import is proceeding, and you will see a ‘Go to Participants page’ button.
- In a few minutes, go to the participants page, you will be able to verify that the import took place because there will be a new group named after your course with students in that course.
- Now that you have connected your course to Poll Everywhere, you can delete the module you used to make the connection.
Re-syncing your roster
You can re-sync the participant roster for your course at any time. Re-syncing will create Poll Everywhere participant profiles for new students and add them to your Poll Everywhere participant group, while removing dropped students from your participants group.
- Navigate to the Participants page and click on the LMS Courses link in the top row of buttons.
- From the LMS courses screen, you will see all of the courses you have connected with the Poll Everywhere LTI Advantage integration. From here, you can re-sync your student participants by clicking the “Sync Roster” button.
Exporting a Gradebook report
Once you have collected some activity results from students, you can export those results to Canvas. Each report you export will create a single gradebook column in Canvas, regardless of the number of activities in the report. Poll Everywhere Gradebook reports can either be exported as a graded assessment or for participation.
- Navigate to your Activities. Select the activities you want to grade and click Create a report. Choose Gradebook.
- Click the Rename link at the top of the report. Write in the name you want for your Canvas gradebook column.
- Click the Export button at the bottom right when you are ready to export the grades to Canvas.
- A popup will ask you to select the course to export the report to from a dropdown menu and whether to export the Grades or Participation column from the report. Make your selections, then click Next.
- The following pop-up will now filter the report by the participants in your LMS Course and start the export. You should then see a message indicating that the export has completed and is processing in the background.
- Once the export is complete, head back over to Canvas and click into your Gradebook to verify that the new Gradebook column was created.
Questions To Consider
- How often and when will you resync the roster during the add/drop period?
- Will you grade for correctness or participation? Grades or participation will be reported as a %.
- How many times will you track poll participation as Canvas gradebook columns? Each column requires a separate Poll Everywhere Gradebook report.
- How will you communicate expectations and provide instructions for students?