Kaltura MediaSpace is a cloud-based, alternative solution to YouTube where you can create, store, and share media content with individuals both inside and outside of the WashU community.
- Free to use with WashU license
- Ability to share content with those outside of the WashU community
- Ability to create public channels to sort out content by topic and make it available by direct link
- Ability to create public galleries to make content available by direct link from the main MediaSpace site
- Ability to restrict access levels to content
- Unlimited space for video recordings and uploads
- Offers analytics on media views
- Automatic closed captioning and searchable transcript
Kaltura Capture desktop recorder can simultaneously capture the device camera and screen
Multiple stream player with picture-in-picture that allows students to swap the primary video window during playback
- A video editor to trim videos, split videos, add thumbnails, and edit transcripts
- Ability to add quiz questions in any video
- Support and administration by CTL staff
- Reasons to use MediaSpace
MediaSpace provides a secure, cloud-based platform to create, organize and share videos.
- Share with a broader community: Kaltura’s Canvas integration makes posting videos in Canvas course sites easy, but these videos are only available to view by WashU faculty, staff and students who have access to the course. MediaSpace allows you to share your videos with the world at large, and it puts you in control of who can access the content and how.
- Accessibility: Automatic Closed Captioning and transcription helps viewers take notes, search for keywords, and better understand verbal instructions. It particularly benefits viewers who are non-native English speakers, hard of hearing, or those who cannot play/hear audio in their learning environment.
- Dual-Processing: Videos combines voice with visuals, two types of multimedia content that are processed separately in the brain (Mayer, 2005). Using both processing channels can reduce cognitive load and maximize learning (see Brame, 2015).
- Access Restriction: MediaSpace allows for different privacy levels for media to better meet the needs of the user.
- Organization: MediaSpace allows for the creating of categories (galleries), collections (channels) and playlists to assist with content organization.
- Analytics: MediaSpace offers analytics on how users are engaging with the media.
- Save time: Videos can be used repeatedly and shared widely, therefore reducing workload once a high-quality video is made.
- HOW TO UPLOAD, CREATE & MANAGE MEDIA
- HOW TO EDIT MEDIA
- HOW TO SHARE MEDIA